CASTLETOWN, a village, in the parish of CRATHIE and BRAEMAR, district of KINCARDINE O'NEIL, county of ABERDEEN, 57 miles (W.) from Aberdeen; containing 124 inhabitants. This village is situated on the southern bank of the Dee, and on the great military road leading from Blairgowrie to Fort George and Aberdeen. It is usually termed Castletown of Braemar. The ancient castle of Braemar, from which the village has its name, standing on a gentle acclivity below the village, in a pass between two hills, was formerly the seat of the Earls of Mar, who possessed the neighbouring lands, and was converted after the Revolution into a garrison for the intimidation of the Highland chieftains. It was leased to government in 1748, for ninety-nine years, for barracks, and was afterwards occasionally occupied by soldiers. The spot is shewn here where, in 1715, the Earl of Mar raised the standard of the Pretender; and about a mile and a half down the valley is a steep rock called "Charters' Chests", so named from a cave in it, of difficult access, where the charters which pertained to the Invercauld property were deposited during the rebellion of the earl. There is a post-office, with a daily post to and from Aberdeen; and three fairs are held anuually, two of them chiefly for cattle, and the other for cattle and sheep. An ordained missionary, supported by the Royal Bounty, regularly officiates in this district; there is also a chapel for Roman Catholics. Near the village are the ruins of an old castle said to have been built as a hunting-seat for King Malcolm Canmore, who erected a bridge here over the Cluny water, which stream falls into the Dee at a short distance to the north.