CAIRNRYAN, a village, in the parish of INCH, county of WIGTOWN, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Stranraer; containing 196 inhabitants. It is seated on the east side of Loch Ryan, and has a safe harbour, with good anchorage, affording shelter in adverse weather to vessels entering into, or coming from, the Firth of Clyde. The village is well situated for foreign trade, and also adapted for ship-building. It has a chapel in connexion with the Establishment, and also a place of worship for members of the Free Church.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis