CAIRNBULG, a village, in the parish of RATHEN, district of DEER, county of ABERDEEN, 3 miles (N. N. E.) frum Rathen; containing 406 inhabitants. This is a fishing-village, situated on the north-eastern coast of Fraserburgh bay, called Cairnbulg Point. It closely adjoins Inverallochie, another village, the inhabitants of which are also fishers. Here are the ruins of an old castle, which seems to have been of considerable strength, and was the seat of the predecessors of Lord Saltoun. It was called Philorth, until sold by Sir Alexander Fraser in 1613 to Fraser of Durris, when its name was changed to Cairnbulg, Sir Alexander transferring that of Philorth to another mansion, about a mile westward, which has ever since been the residence of the Lords Saltoun.