BUCKHOLMSIDE, a village, in the late quoad sacra parish of LADHOPE, parish of MELROSE, county of ROXBURGH, containing 396 inhabitants. This place is situated on the east side of the river Gala, and, though within the parish of Melrose, is more properly an appendage of Galashiels, with which town it is connected by a stone bridge, and in the manufactures of which the larger part of the population is employed. Great facility of intercourse is afforded by the Edinburgh and Hawick railway, lately opened. There is a school in the village, for which a comfortable house has been built by the heritors.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis