BRUNTON, a village, in the parish of CREICH, district of CUPAR, county of FIFE; containing 90 inhabitants. This village, which is pleasantly situated, is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in agriculture, and in hand-loom weaving for the linen manufacturers of Cupar, under the inspection of a resident agent who furnishes the materials. Previously to the introduction of machinery, several of the females were employed in spinning yarn; but at present there is only one spinning-wheel in operation.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis
Online maps of Brunton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)