UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bridgeton, Lanarkshire

Historical Description

BRIDGETON, formerly a quoad sacra parish, consisting of part of BARONY parish, in the suburbs of GLASGOW, county of LANARK; containing, according to the last census, 3583 inhabitants. The village of Bridgeton, which takes its name from its vicinity to the bridge over the Clyde leading to Rutherglen, is partly indebted for its origin to Mr. John Walkinshaw, who in 1705 purchased some lands eastward of the city, which he divided into building lots, for the formation of a village, then called Barrowfield. In 1724, however, he had let only nineteen small portions, and the land was subsequently purchased by the corporation, in conjunction with the Trades' House, who in 1731 conveyed it to Mr, John Orr, merchant, of Glasgow, who, being more successful in disposing of the ground, may be regarded as the founder of the present town. This now flourishing village contains, according to the last census, above 14,000 persons. It stands on the north side of the river, to the south-east of Calton, and, like that place, consists of several spacious and well-formed streets. The houses are generally built of stone, and roofed with slates; but a considerable number are built of brick, and roofed with tiles, for the manufacture of which clay of excellent quality is found in the immediate vicinity. The population are chiefly employed in the cotton manufacture, and other works in the neighbourhood of the city. There are seven or eight extensive factories, two large dye and print works, a most extensive gas-work for supplying the village and adjacent city with gas, and numerous shops for the supply of the inhabitants with groceries and various kinds of merchandise. The parish, consisting of part of the village, was formed in 1837, under act of the General Assembly. The church is a neat structure, erected by the Church-Building Society of Glasgow, and contains 1024 sittings. It is now rented by members of the Free Church, and in the village is also a large place of worship in connexion with the United Presbyterian Synod, There are two spacious schoolrooms.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis