BOWLING-BAY, a village, in the parish of OLD KILPATRICK, county of DUMBARTON, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Dumbarton, containing 182 inhabitants. It is situated on the north bank of the Firth of Clyde, and on the road which passes, close by the river, from Glasgow to Dumbarton. The locality is very beautiful; and immediately opposite, on the south side of the Clyde, is Erskine House, the fine seat of Lord Blantyre. At this village the Forth and Clyde canal terminates. There is a ship-building yard, and belonging to the canal company is a basin, for the enlargement of which an act was passed in 1846. In the same year an act was passed for the construction of a railway from Glasgow, by Bowling-Bay, to Dumbarton, Loch Lomond, and Helensburgh.