Tarrant Rushton, Dorset
Tarrant Rushton, a parish in Dorsetshire, 3¾ miles E of Blandford station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. Post town, Blandford. Acreage, 2073; population of the civil parish, 179; of the ecclesiastical, 219. The living is a rectory, with Tarrant Rawston annexed, in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £195 with residence. The church is good, and has been thoroughly restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Diocese||Bristol||1542 - 1836|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tarrant-Rushton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Blandford||1835 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1700. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary is an ancient cruciform building of flint and stone in the Norman and Early English styles, chiefly of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and a bell chamber containing one bell: there are three perfect hagioscopes, of the Decorated period, and a piscina of the same period: two earthenware vessels have been found built into the chancel arch, and remains of stone tomb covers: there are memorial windows to the Rev. Francis A. Smith, d. 1877, and Miss Isabella Wilson, d. 1887, and brasses to Captain Smith, d. 1885; Captain Arthur Roe, died of wounds 1914; and the Rev. J. Penney M.A. rector 1877-1915, died Jan. 1915; the church was restored between 1878 and 1887, and has sittings for 120 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tarrant Rushton was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tarrant Rushton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tarrant-Rushton (St. Mary))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Tarrant Rushton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.