BONAR, a village, in the parish of Criech, county of Sutherland, 12 miles (W.) from Dornoch; containing 247 inhabitants. It is prettily seated on the northern shore of Dornoch Frith, at the junction of the Assynt, Reay, Caithness, and Ross-shire roads. Bonar has latterly rapidly increased from a small hamlet to a good-sized village, owing to the erection of a bridge, by which it has become the chief entrance into the county from the opposite shore, and it is likely to be the nucleus of a future town of considerable extent and importance. The bridge, called Bonar Bridge, is of one iron and two stone arches, and was built, in 1812, by the landowners of the county, at a cost of about £14,000. Some trade is carried on with this village and neighbourhood, by means of small vessels, for which there is a sufficient depth of water; and markets for the sale of cattle, are held in July, August, and September.