Tarrant Monkton, Dorset
Tarrant Monckton, a parish in Dorsetshire, 4 miles NE by E of Blandford station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. It has a post office under Blandford; money order and telegraph office, Tarrant Gunville. Acreage, 2176; population of the civil parish, 219; of the ecclesiastical, 280. The living is a vicarage, united with Tarrant Launceston, in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £126 with residence. The church has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blandford||1835 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1689. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The parish church of All Saints is an ancient edifice of stone and flint in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south transept, north porch and a western tower containing 3 bells: the church was restored in 1873, and has 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tarrant Monkton was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tarrant Monkton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Tarrant Monkton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.