Tarrant Launceston, Dorset
Tarrant Launceston, a parish in Dorsetshire, 4 miles NE of Blandford station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. Post town, Blandford. Acreage, 1659; population, 61. The living is annexed to Tarrant Monckton. There is no church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blandford||1835 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tarrant Launceston was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tarrant Launceston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tarrant-Launceston)
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Tarrant Launceston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.