BLACKBURN, a village, chiefly in the parish of Livingstone, and partly in that of Whitburn, county of Linlithgow, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Mid-Calder; containing 443 inhabitants. This village is pleasantly situated on the river from which it derives its name, and on the road from Glasgow to Edinburgh. The inhabitants are partly engaged in agricultural pursuits, and partly in the cotton manufacture, for which there is an establishment affording employment to about 120 persons. A branch office has been established here, under the post-office at Whitburn. In 1846 an act of parliament was passed for the construction of a railway from Airdrie to Bathgate, with a branch to Whitburn and Blackburn. Near the village is a quarry of lakestone; it affords excellent stone for laying ovens, and the produce is sent to all parts of the country. Subscriptions have been opened for the erection of a church; in the mean time, public worship takes place in the village schoolroom. There is a meeting-house for Independents. Blackburn House is a handsome mansion.