UK Genealogy Archives logo

Frilsham, Berkshire

Historical Description

Frilsham, a village and a parish in Berks, on an affluent of the river Thames, 2 miles E from Hermitage station on the G.W.R., and 6 SSE of East Ilsley. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Newbury. Acreage, 977; population, 159. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £162 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone in the Norman style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBerkshire 
Ecclesiastical parishFrilsham St. Frideswide 
HundredFaircross 
Poor Law unionBradfield 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1754.


Churches

Church of England

St. Frideswide (parish church)

The church of St. Frideswide is an ancient structure of stone and flint in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of brick, containing 2 bells: there are 80 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Frilsham was in Bradfield Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Wokingham Registration District from 1937 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Frilsham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Frilsham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.

CountyWest Berkshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtRG18
Post TownThatcham