Eccles or Eccles-next-the-Sea, Norfolk
Eccles or Eccles-next-the-Sea, a village and a parish in Norfolk, on the coast, 9 miles ESE of North Walsham, 18 NE of Norwich, and 3 NE from Stalham station on the Eastern and Midland railway. Post town, Norwich; money order and telegraph office, Stalham. The area of the parish, which was originally 2000 acres, has been reduced by the encroachments of the sea to 297; population, 18. The living is a sinecure rectory in the diocese of Norwich; value, £59. The church was destroyed by the sea before 1605, but the tower still stands on the beach, and is surrounded by the sea at high tides.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Eccles St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Guiltcross|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eccles or Eccles-next-the-Sea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Eccles (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.