Hermitage, an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1840 out of the civil parish of Hampstead-Norris, Berks. It comprises the hamlets of Little Hungerford and Wellhouse, and has a station on the G.W.R., and a post office under Newbury; money order office, Chieveley; telegraph office at the railway station. Population, 355. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £154 with residence. The church is a modern building of brick, and there is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Hampstead Norris|
|Poor Law union||Wantage|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Hermitage was in Hungerford Registration District from 1948 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hermitage from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hermitage)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hermitage are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.