Bernera Great and Little, Ross and Cromarty
BERNERA, GREAT and LITTLE, two islands, in the parish of Uig, island of Lewis, county of Ross and Cromarty. These islands are situated in Loch Roag, and off the western coast of the island of Lewis; the first is about twelve miles long and four broad, and the other four miles in length and one in breadth. They are two of a large group of islands in an arm of the sea which here indents the main land of Lewis. Great Bernera abounds with lakes, and has a considerable portion of fertile land; it contains a tolerably entire circle of large upright stones, only paralleled by those of Stonehenge and Stenhouse, and supposed to be of Druidic origin. Little Bernera, in which is a fresh-water lake, is covered with pasture.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis