BELLSHILL, a village, in the parish of Bothwell, Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 1½ mile (E.) from Bothwell; containing 1013 inhabitants. It lies on the great road from Edinburgh to Glasgow, and the hill from which it is named attains an elevation of 372 feet above the sea. The population partake in the manufactures of the parish. There is a post-office; also a United Presbyterian meeting-house, and two schools.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis