BELHAVEN, a village and watering-place, in the parish of Dunbar, county of Haddington,¾ of a mile (W.) from the town of Dunbar; containing 380 inhabitants. It is a suburb of Dunbar, pleasantly situated on the south-eastern shore of Belhaven bay, which opens into the Firth of Forth; and a strong mineral spring draws hither a number of summer visiters. A church was opened in 1840, which is now a place of worship in connexion with the Free Church. The place gives the title of Baron to a branch of the noble family of Hamilton.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis