BEAULY, a village, in the parish of Kilmorack, county of Inverness, 18 miles (W.) from Inverness; containing 560 inhabitants. It is situated at the mouth of the river of the same name; and was distinguished for a priory founded in 1230, which at the Dissolution came into the possession of Hugh, Lord Frazer, of Lovat, in whose family it continued until 1745, when it was forfeited to the crown: a portion of the walls is still standing. The village is a considerable thoroughfare to and from all the more northern Highland counties; and the Beauly is navigable for small vessels for about three miles above it. The river is formed by the union, near Erchless Castle, of the Farrer, Canich, and Glass streams; it takes an eastern course, and after forming the falls of Kilmorack and other cascades, merges in an arm of the sea connected with the Moray Firth. See Kilmorack.