BALLOCHNEY, a village, in that part of the parish of New Monkland which formed the quoad sacra parish of Clarkston, Middle ward of the county of Lanark; containing 559 inhabitants. This place, which is situated in the southern part of the parish, in an important coal and ironstone district, gives name to a line of railway extending from it, for about four miles westward, to the southern terminus of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch, and the eastern terminus of the Glasgow and Garnkirk, railroad. The capital of the company, which was incorporated in 1826, was originally £18,000; but power was acquired in the session of 1835 to increase it to £28,000; and by an act passed July 1, 1839, the capital was further augmented to £70,000, for the purpose of improving the line, which now has several branches. In 1843 the company was empowered to increase its capital to £110,000. An act was passed in 1846 enabling it to improve the gauge of the rails; and in 1848 an act was obtained to amalgamate the Ballochney, the Monkland and Kirkintilloch, and the Slamannan railways.