AUCHMITHIE, a village, in the parish of ST. VIGEAN'S, county of FORFAR, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Arbroath; containing 307 inhabitants. It stands upon the coast, on a high rocky bank which rises nearly 120 feet above the sea; and is irregularly built. There are several good houses, but the dwellings are chiefly those of fishermen, who form a large part of the population. The harbour is a level beach, formed by an opening between the rocks that here surround the coast: near the village is the Gaylet Pot, a remarkable cavern into which the sea flows. Divine service is performed in a small chapel by a minister of the Established Church.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis