AUCHINLOCH, a hamlet, in the former quoad sacra parish of CHRYSTON, parish of CADDER, Lower ward of the county of LANARK, 2 miles (S.) from the town of Kirkintilloch; containing 138 inhabitants. This village has its name from a considerable loch now drained, and owes its origin to the mines of coal in its immediate vicinity, which have been worked on a moderate scale by its inhabitants, though the quality is scarcely good enough to remunerate the expense of obtaining it. There are also limestone-quarries, from which materials are raised for building and agricultural purposes, and for which works have been established at Garnkirk. In the village is a school endowed by Patrick Baird with £300, the interest whereof is paid annually to the master.
Online maps of Auchinloch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)