Auchinearn Old and New, Lanarkshire
AUCHINEARN, OLD and NEW, a village, in the parish of CADDER, Lower ward of the county of LANARK; containing 561 inhabitants, chiefly employed in agriculture. In this village is situated one of the parochial schools, endowed with 1000 merks by the late Rev. James Warden, a former incumbent of the parish. In 1764 Dr. William Leechman, principal of the university of Glasgow, and then proprietor of this estate, gave in trust to the Kirk Session, a schoolroom and house for a teacher, with a small portion of land, on condition that they should appoint a master. The school-house was handsomely rebuilt in 1826, by the late Charles Stirling, Esq., assisted by Archibald Lamont, Esq., and other heritors. The master receives a salary of £8. 10., with £12 fees, and the interest of the Rev. James Warden's bequest. A library has lately been established in the village.