Stourpaine, a parish, with a village, and with Ashe tithing, in Dorsetshire, on the river Stour, and 3 miles from Blandford station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. It has a post office under Blandford; money order and telegraph office, Blandford. Acreage, 2375; population, 490. A Roman camp is on Hod Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £210 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt in 1858 and is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stourpain Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Blandford||1835 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1631. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
The Holy Trinity (parish church)
The parish church of the Holy Trinity, an edifice of flint and stone in the Gothic style, was rebuilt in the year 1858 by the Rev. Charles Tuffnell, then vicar, to whose memory a stained window has been erected; it consists of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells: in 1882 a new organ was erected at a cost of £250, a brass lectern presented by the Hon. Misses Pitt, of Steepleton, and stained east and west windows erected: there is also a brass, placed about 1898 to Colonel Watts, formerly of the Bombay Staff Corps: the church was restored in 1871 and affords 250 sittings. In the churchyard is a lych-gate of oak upon a base of Ham Hill stone.
Stourpaine was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stourpaine from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stourpain (Holy Trinity))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Stourpaine are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &cAshe
Lacerton or Lazarton
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.