Arthurlee Cross, Renfrewshire
ARTHURLEE, CROSS, a village, in the former quoad sacra parish of BARRHEAD, parish of NEILSTON, Upper ward of the county of RENFREW; containing 663 inhabitants. This place owes its origin to the establishment of a bleachfield in its vicinity, by a gentleman named Adair, about the year 1773. It was chosen by him as a most suitable situation for works of this nature, and his example having been followed by others, the neighbourhood has since become a considerable bleaching district. The village is situated in the northeastern part of the parish, and not far distant from the village of Barrhead.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis