ANDERSTON, a burgh, and for a time a quoad sacra parish, consisting of part of Barony parish, in the suburbs of the city of Glasgow, county of Lanark, 1 mile (W.) from Glasgow; containing 3759 inhabitants. This place derives its name from its founder, Mr. John Anderston, of Stobcross, who in 1725 formed the plan of a village, and divided the lands of one of his most unproductive farms into building lots, thus laying the foundation of a very considerable suburb to the city. It is on the north side of the river Clyde, and though of irregular form, and less modern in appearance than others of the suburban districts, it contains many well-built and handsome houses; the lands to the north are chiefly garden-ground, and on the banks of the river are several pleasing villas, inhabited by some of the most opulent merchants of Glasgow. A considerable part of the population are employed in the cotton manufacture, in iron-foundries, and the production of machinery; many are mariners belonging to the port, and there are shops of various kinds for the supply of the inhabitants.
Anderston was erected into a burgh of barony, by royal charter, in 1824; the district includes parts of the lands of Stobcross, Gushet, Parsonscroft, and Rankenshaugh, and is wholly within the parliamentary boundary of the city of Glasgow. The government is vested in a provost, three bailies, a treasurer, and eleven councillors, annually elected by the burgesses; the bailies and treasurers from the councillors, and the provost from the burgesses generally. The magistrates exercise civil jurisdiction in pleas not exceeding forty shillings in amount, and criminal jurisdiction in all cases within the Police act: courts for the former are held weekly, or every alternate week, and for the latter four times in the week; in both of which, the town-clerk acts as assessor. The burgesses pay a fee of £2. 2. on admission. The corporation have power to hold a weekly market and two annual fairs: the fairs were formerly held, but they have been discontinued. Anderston quoad sacra parish was formed in 1834, and, like every similar division, was subsequently abolished: the minister's stipend is £300, derived from the seat-rents, of which £80 are secured by bond. The church was originally built as a chapel of ease, in 1799, at a cost of £2500, raised by voluntary subscription, and has been since repaired; it is a neat structure, and contains 1246 sittings. A school for this parish and the former quoad sacra parish of St. Mark, was erected at an expense of £1700, of which £850 were subscribed by the two parishes, and the remainder granted by the treasury; it is a spacious building, containing three schools, attended by 600 children paying very moderate fees. There is also a Free church. St. John's episcopal church, at Anderston, was commenced in September, 1849.