ALTIVAIG, a small island, in the parish of KILMUIR, county of INVERNESS. This is one of several islets extending from Aird point, southward, to Ru-na-Braddan, on the north-eastern coast of the Isle of Skye. Altivaig is about two miles in circumference, and very fertile; the soil is appropriated to the pasturage of sheep. Here is a harbour with good ground for anchorage, but from being open to the North Sea, it is judged to be unsafe.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis