ALEXANDRIA, for a time a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of BONHILL, county of DUMBARTON; containing 3397 inhabitants, of whom 3039 are in the village, 4 miles (N.) from Dumbarton. This village is on the west bank of the river Leven, and its population has of late years very considerably increased, owing to the establishment of bleach-fields and print-fields in the parish; the persons employed here, in these works, are very numerous. Alexandria church is a handsome edifice, and contains about 1000 sittings; the minister's stipend is £206. 17. 4., with a manse, a glebe valued at £6. 13. 4. per annum, and a right to fuel on a moss, commuted for £4 worth of coal, and 13s. 8d. money. In the village is a place of worship for Independents. See Bonhill.
Online maps of Alexandria are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)