ACKERGILL, a village, in the parish of WICK, and county of CAITHNESS. It was anciently called Aikrigill, and lies on the shore of Sinclair bay, and on the road between Staxigo and Keiss. The lands were formerly a possession of the Keiths, earls-marischal, whose residence here was Ackergill Tower, a spacious rectangular structure, the walls of which, thirteen feet in thickness, and crowned with battlements, are eighty-two feet in height; it is in a state of entire preservation, and, from its antiquity, has an impressive aspect. See WICK.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis
Online maps of Ackergill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)