ABERCHIRDER, a village, in the parish of MARNOCH, county of BANFF, 7 miles (W. by N.) from Turriff; containing 819 inhabitants. The whole parish was formerly called by the name of this place, derived from Sir David Aberkerder, Thane of Aberkerder, who lived about the year 1400, and possessed great property in this vicinity. The village consists chiefly of three streets, regularly laid out, parallel to each other, with a square in the centre, in addition to which, several good substantial houses have been recently built. Aberchirder contains a branch of the North of Scotland Bank, a stamp-office, and a post-office; it is crossed by the turnpike-road between Banff and Huntly, and that between Turriff and Portsoy also passes through it. There is an Episcopalian chapel.
Online maps of Aberchirder are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)