Easton, a chapelry in St Cuthbert parish, Wells borough, Somerset, 3 miles W of Wells town, and 1 mile from Westbury station on the G.W.R. It was constituted in 1844, and its post town and money order office is Wells; telegraph office, Lodge Hill railway station. Population, 241. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £200. Patron, the Vicar of Wells. The church was built in 1843, and is in the Norman style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Easton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Easton)
Online maps of Easton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online: