URLINGFORD, a parish, in the barony of GALMOY, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1¾ mile (S.) from Johnstown, to which it has a penny post; on the road from Kilkenny to Thurles, and on the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork, by Cashel; containing 2492 inhabitants, of which number, 1366 are in the village, which consists of a main street with a few offsets diverging from it, and contains 256 houses, mostly of inferior appearance. The village is the centre of a manufacture of coarse stuffs, flannels, and worsteds, and carries on an extensive retail trade with the surrounding districts. There are 12 fairs during the year, chiefly for cattle and fat pigs: they are held on Jan. 12th, Feb. 1st, March 17th, April 10th, May 12th, June 29th, July 20th, Aug 15th, Sept. 13th, Oct. 12th, Nov. 14th, and Dec. 23rd. Near it is a race-course surrounding a green knoll, the summit of which commands an extensive panoramic prospect. A manor court is held here every three weeks: it is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary. The parish comprises 3227 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Agriculture is in an improving state; limestone exists in abundance; and there is a considerable quantity of bog, which, however, is capable of being reclaimed. Near the village is Marymount, the neat and improved seat of R. Neville, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £150. The parish also forms part of the perpetual curacy of Clomanto. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Tubrid-Britain, with parts of those of Burnchurch and Clomanto, in which union are two chapels; that of Urlingford is a very neat building. There are two schools in connection with the Board of National Education, the school-houses of which were built respectively by the Earl of Kilkenny and Fitzpatrick, Esq.; about 70 boys and 70 girls are educated in them. There is also a private school, in which are about 60 boys and 30 girls. In the demesne of Maryborough is a cromlech, which had been supported by three upright stone pillars, two of which, 8 feet high each, still remain in their original position at one end; the third has fallen: a flat stone underneath was broken in a search for money by the peasants, who, instead, found human bones. A rath in the neighbourhood is peculiar in being of a square shape.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Urlingford from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.