Urglin or Rutland, Carlow
URGLIN, or RUTLAND, a parish, in the barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Carlow, on the road from that town to Castledermot; containing 977 inhabitants. This parish comprises 3080 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2715 per annum: the greater part of the land is in small holdings, and the system of agriculture is improving. The seats are Burton Hall, the residence of W. F. Burton, Esq., pleasantly situated on a rising ground in a finely planted demesne, approached by a long and wide avenue of trees; Rutland House, of - Mosse, Esq.; Rutland Lodge, of E. Burton, Esq.; Johnstown, of T. Elliott, Esq.; Benekerry Lodge, of E. Gorman, Esq.; Mount Sion, of B. Colclough, Esq; and Benekerry House, of Mrs. Newton. At Palatinetown there is a constabulary station, and a fair is held there on the 26th of March. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, united in 1713 to the rectory of Grangeforth, and by act of council, in 1803, to the impropriate cure of Killerick, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £250, and of the union to £542. 19. 2¾. The church is a neat plain building with a spire, erected in 1821 by aid of a loan of £700 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Tullow, and partly in that of Tinriland, and contains a chapel belonging to the latter division, situated at Benekerry. About 50 children are taught in a public school, and 110 in two private schools.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Urglin or Rutland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Urglin or Rutland)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.