UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Tyfernan or Tyfarnam, Westmeath

Historical Description

TYFERNAN, or TYFARNAM, a parish, in the barony of CORKAREE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5¼ miles (N.) from Mullingar, on the road from Multifarnham to Castlepollard; containing 310 inhabitants. This parish is situated between Loughs Dereveragh and Owhel, and contains 1844¾ statute acres of arable and pasture land. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of the perpetual cure of Leney; the rectory is impropriate in Sir John B. Piers, Bart. The tithes amount to £35, payable to the impropriator. The church has long been in ruins. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recommended that this small parish should be annexed to the adjoining parish of Portshangan. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Rathconnell, or Turin. There are two private schools, in which 70 children are taught.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tyfernan or Tyfarnam from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmeath is available to browse.

Advertisement

Advertisement