Tubbridbrittain or Tubbridbretain, Kilkenny
TUBBRIDBRITTAIN, or TUBBRIDBRETAIN, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. W.) from Freshford, on the road to Urlingford; containing 556 inhabitants, and comprising 3884 statute acres. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Aghoure, or Freshford; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. The tithes amount to £250, of which £166. 13. 4. is payable to the corporation, and £83. 6. 8. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Urlingford, and contains a large chapel recently erected. The parochial school, in which about 80 children are taught, is aided by subscriptions; and there is a private school, in which are about 140 children. Here is an ancient castle, consisting of a square tower.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tubbridbrittain or Tubbridbretain from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Tubbridbrittain or Tubbridbretain)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.