UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tomb, Wexford

Historical Description

TOMB, a parish, partly in the barony of GOREY, but chiefly in that of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Gorey, on the road to Enniscorthy; containing, with the post-town of Camolin, 1905 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Bann, and comprises 6322 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Fairs for black cattle and pigs are held at Camolin, which see. The seats are Norrismount, the residence of Robt. Brownrigge, Esq., and Meadop Hall, of T. Smith, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, united by act of council, in 1720, to those of Kilcomb and Rossmanogue, together constituting the corps of the prebend of Tomb, in the cathedral of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £276, and there is a glebe of 20 acres, also a glebe of 14 acres in Rossmanogue: the gross tithes of the benefice amount to £646. 3. The church, a small plain structure with a low square tower, is situated in the town of Camolin. The ruins of an old church at Ballinclare still exist. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of the union or district called Camolin, belonging to the R. C. bishop of Ferns, and comprising also the parishes of Leskinfere (or Clough), Ballycannew, Rossmanogue, and the greater part of Kilnehue; the chapels are at Camolin, Craneford, Monaseed, and Balloughter. The parochial school, with apartments for the master, built on an acre of land given by the Earl of Mountnorris, is partly supported by subscription; about 40 children are educated in this school, and there are three private schools, in which are about 120 children, and a Sunday school.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tomb from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.