Tipperaghney or Tyburoughny, Kilkenny
TIPPERAGHNEY, or TYBUROUGHNY, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾-miles (E. S. E.) from Carrick-on-Suir, on the road to Waterford; containing 293 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have been of some importance in ancient times, and to have been at one period thickly inhabited. According to Archdall, St. Dominick, or Modomnoc, flourished here about the middle of the sixth century, and the ruins of the church bear evidence of its remote antiquity. Here are remains of the foundations of an ancient town, supposed to be of Danish origin, a tombstone still existing being sculptured with Danish characters: also a mound of a conical form encircled by a spacious fosse, and presenting a considerable area on its summit. The castle is a stately edifice, supposed by some to have been erected by John, Earl of Morton., while at Waterford, but by others attributed to the Walshes, once proprietors of the entire parish: it is now the seat of M. Rivers, Esq. The parish is situated on the northern bank of the Suir, and comprises about 1134 statute acres; a large stone on its western border marks the boundary between the county of Kilkenny, in the province of Leinster, and that of Tipperary, in Munster. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Fiddown: the tithes amount to £90. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or distinct of Templeorum.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tipperaghney or Tyburoughny from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Tipperaghney or Tyburoughny)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.