UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Timolin, Kildare

Historical Description

TIMOLIN, a parish, partly in the barony of NARRAGH and RHEBAN-EAST, but chiefly in that of KILKEA and MOONE, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, on the river Griese and on the mail coach road from Dublin to Carlow, containing, with the post-town of Ballitore, (which is separately described), 3139 inhabitants, of which number, 288 are in the village of Timolin. The name of this place in Irish signifies "the house of Moling," from the foundation of a monastery here by St. Moling of Ferns, who died in the 7th century. In the reign of John, Robert Fitz-Richard, Lord of Noragh or Narragh, founded a convent for nuns of the Arroasian order, which he amply endowed, and also erected a strong castle here. In 1328 the church of St. Moling was burned by Edmond le Boteler; and in the reign of Chas. I. The castle was taken by the Marquess of Ormonde, and the garrison put to the sword by order of the Lords-Justices, though conditions of peace were in progress of adjustment. The parish comprises 2240 statute acres, chiefly under tillage, though there is some good pasture: the land is in general good, and there is no waste; fuel is scarce and only to be obtained from the bog of Narraghmore, about two miles distant. Here are quarries of sandstone and pebble limestone, which latter is burnt for manure. The village of Timolin contains 34 houses: fairs are held there on Easter-Monday and on June 28th. The Seven Denominations constituting part of the Vicarage of Killelan are now entirely separated from the Union of Timolin: they were for some time considered to be under the patronage of the Archbishop, but Sir Richard Steele lately advanced a claim to them, and has succeeded in recovering them and in establishing his right to the vicarage of Killelan. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, united time immemorially to the rectory and vicarage of Belan and the vicarages of Moone and Rathtoole, together constituting the union of Timolin, in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral and minor canons of the cathedrals of St. Patrick and Christchurch, Dublin; the tithes amount to £191. 5., of which £127. 10. is payable to the appropriators, and £63. 15. to the vicar. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 20 acres, in the parish of Moone. The church is a plain building with a neat tower, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £242. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Castle-Dermot; the chapel is a plain spacious edifice. The Society of Friends have a meeting-house at Ballitore. In Timolin is the parochial school, aided by an annual donation from the vicar, in which are about 6 boys and 20 girls; and there is a school in connection with the Society of Friends. There are also three private schools, in which are about 380 children.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Timolin from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kildare is available to browse.