UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Timahoe, Queens County

Historical Description

TIMAHOE, a village, in the parish of FOSEY, or TIMAHOE, barony of CULLINAGH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Stradbally, on the road to Ballinakill; containing 96 inhabitants. This place takes its name from the foundation here of the monastery of Teach-Mochoe, by St. Mochoe, who died in 497, and which was destroyed by fire in 1142: it was afterwards refounded by the O'Mores, but of its further history there is no record. There are still some slight remains of the building, near which is an ancient round tower, 33 feet high; the doorway is 14 feet from the ground and is ornamented with a zigzag moulding, and the whole is in good preservation. A castle was erected here in the reign of Elizabeth by the Cosby family, whose descendants are still proprietors of the estate: the ruins form a very interesting and picturesque object. In 1642 a battle took place here between a party of forces under Col. Monck, on his return from the relief of Ballinakill, and a party under Gen. Preston, who had advanced to intercept his retreat, in which the latter was repulsed with considerable loss. The vicinity abounds with rich pastures and extensive dairy farms, and much butter of very superior quality is sent hither for sale. The village, which contains only nine houses, is pleasantly situated. Fairs are held on April 5th, July 2nd, and Oct. 18th.; and a constabulary police force is stationed here. The R. C. chapel of the union of Stradbally, a handsome cruciform edifice in the early English style, lately erected at an expense of £2000, is situated in the village; in which is also the parochial school, under the patronage of Mrs. Cosby.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Timahoe from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.