TICKILLEN, a parish in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (N. W.) from Wexford, near the mail road to Enniscorthy; containing 1226 inhabitants. It is principally situated on the north-eastern bank of the Slaney, but there is a small detached portion on the northern extremity of the estuary of that river. The principal portion is skirted by the new mail road to Enniscorthy and Dublin, and is connected with the south-western bank of the river by a handsome bridge of American oak, which, together with the ancient castle of Ferry-Carrigg, romantically situated on a rocky eminence on the Tickillen side of the river, is noticed in the article on the parish of Carrigg. The parish of Tickillen comprises 2640 statute acres, of which the detached portion contains 748: within the limits of the latter is part of the village of Castlebridge. The land is mostly in tillage, the soil in general fertile, and the state of agriculture has been of late years much improved. The seats are Percy Lodge, the property of Percy Evans Freke, Esq., pleasantly situated near the banks of the river; Killown, the residence of - Woodcock, Esq., built in the cottage style; Newtown Lodge, the handsome villa of J. E. Redmond, Esq.; and Moat Park, of N. Goodall, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, separated by act of council in 1829 from the union of Ardcolme (with the exception of the small detached portion, which is still attached to that union), and with the adjoining parish of Kilpatrick, formed into a distinct benefice; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes of the larger portion amount to £123. 7. 9., of which £63. 7. 9 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; and those of the smaller portion to £58. 12. 10., of which £28. 13. 6. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent of Ardcolme union. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Crossabeg. Within the demesne of Percy Lodge is a glebe, comprising 3 acres; also the ruins of the ancient church, with a cemetery attached. At the north-western extremity of the parish are the remains of Deeps Castle, said to have been granted by Cromwell to one of his standard-bearers named Randle, whose family subsequently entertained Jas. II. on his way to Waterford, when he was retiring to France after the battle of the Boyne.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tickillen from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.