TEMPLESCOBIN, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Enniscorthy, on the road to New Ross; containing 405 inhabitants, This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Urrin, comprises 1490 statute acres, chiefly under tillage; the soil is in some parts shingly, and in others loamy and inclining to a yellowish clay; the state of agriculture is improving, and there is but a very small portion of bog or waste land. Good stone of an argillaceous slaty kind is quarried for building; and at Clohass the manufacture of coarse pottery ware and tiles is carried on to some extent. The seats are Dunsinane, the residence of J. B. Graves, Esq.; Verona, of John Furlong, Esq., M.D.; and Clohass, of Mrs. Ball. In 1806 the townlands of Clohass and Scobin were separated from the parish of Rossdroit and constituted a distinct parish, under the name of Templescobin: the living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £135. The church is a small neat edifice, in the later English style, with a handsome square tower surmounted by angular turrets; it was completed in 1817 by aid of a gift of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £158 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish is within the union or district of Davidstown. About 80 children are educated during the summer months in two private schools; and a school and asylum for Protestant orphan children is about to be established under the patronage of R. W. Phaire, Esq., of Killoughram.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Templescobin from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.