Tashinny or Taghshinny, Longford
TASHINNY, or TAGHSHINNY, a parish, partly in the barony of RATHCLINE, but chiefly in that of ABBEYSHRUEL, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 1¼ mile (S.) from Colehill, on the road from Ballymahon to Mullingar; containing 2475 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Inny, and, according to the applotment under the tithe act, comprises 4463 statute acres, valued at £4302 per annum. The land is of good quality, and chiefly in tillage: there are quarries of black stone, and some bog within the limits of the parish, through which the Royal Canal passes. At Tennelick, on the Inny, are large mills for grinding oatmeal, worked by Messrs. McCann and Sons, who generally employ more than 40 persons. Fairs are held at Tashinny on March 27th and May 28th; fairs are also held at the village of Barry, which see. The seats are Doory Hall, the residence of F. T. Jessop, Esq., situated in a fine and well-planted demesne; Colehill House, of T. Nugent Lennon, Esq.; and Hermitage, of Geo. Duff, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, united by episcopal authority to the rectory and vicarage of Abbeyshrule, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £210; and there is a glebe of 29 acres, valued at £52 per ann.; the gross annual value of the benefice, including the glebe and £14. 19. 0¾. from the rectorial tithes of the parish of Teighshinod, amounts to £364. 16. 10. The glebe-house was built in 1825, at an expense of £923 British, of which £230 was a gift and £507 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a small building, without tower or steeple, erected about a century ago; it has lately undergone considerable repairs, towards which the Countess Dowager of Rosse contributed £150, Mr. Jessop £50, Mrs. Jessop £50, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners £50; it contains a handsome marble monument to the memory of Judge Gore. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Carrickedmond, or Teighshinod. In the school at Barry, partly suppoited by Lady Rosse, who also partially clothes the children; a school at Doory Hall, supported by Mrs. Jessop; and separate schools for boys and girls supported by Wm. McCann, Esq., about 270 children are educated: the school-house at Doory Hall is a handsome building. Tennelick, once the residence of Lord Annaly, has long been in ruins.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tashinny or Taghshinny from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Tashinny or Taghshinny)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Longford is available to browse.