TANKARDSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1¾ mile (N. W. by N.) from Tullow; containing 1101 inhabitants. It is situated on the rivers Derreen and Slaney, the former of which separates it from the county of Wicklow and bounds it on the east, and the latter bounds it on the west. About seven-tenths of its surface consist of meadow and pasture; the remainder is arable, with a small portion of wood. Within its limits are the small hamlet called from its situation Tankardstown Cross roads, and Capnagh House, the residence of Wm. Young, Esq. In ecclesiastical concerns it is not known as a parish, but constitutes part of the rectory of Tullow, in the diocese of Leighlin; and in the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Tullow. About 170 children are educated in two private schools. At Capnagh are the ruins of an old castle.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tankardstown from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.