TAGOAT, a village, in the parish of ROSSLARE, barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (N.) from Broadway: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated at the southern extremity of the parish, and at the junction of several roads, of which the principal is that leading to the town of Wexford, 7½ miles distant. It is a station of the constabulary police; and contains the principal R. C. chapel of the district, which comprises the parishes of Rosslare, Kilrane, Kilscoran, St. Helen (or Killilane), St. Michael, and Ballybrennan; within a quarter of a mile of the village is the church of the union of Tacumshane, also called the union of Kilscoran, from the church being situated in the latter parish. Adjoining the chapel are schools for children of both sexes, which are under the superintendence of the parish priest; and near the village is a neat school, erected and supported by the rector. In the immediate vicinity is Hill Castle, the seat of G. M. Dance, Esq.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tagoat from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.