UK Genealogy Archives logo

Summerhill, Meath

Historical Description

SUMMERHILL, a post-town, in the parish of LARACOR, barony of LOWER MOYFENRAGH, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Trim, and 17 (W. N. W.) from Dublin, by Dunboyne; containing 49 houses and 331 inhabitants. This town, which has a neat appearance, is pleasantly situated on the road from Dublin to Trim, by Kilcock, and also on that by Dunboyne, which latter is the nearer by three miles. It is a chief constabulary police station; petty sessions are held on alternate Tuesdays, and fairs on April 30th, June 9th, Sept. 32nd, and Nov. 25th. Here is a Presbyterian meeting-house, and contiguous to the town is Summerhill House, the seat of Lord Langford, situated in a noble demesne.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.