Poxwell or Pokeswell, a parish in Dorsetshire, near the coast, 5 miles SW of Moreton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 NE of Weymonth. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Weymouth. Acreage, 834; population, 82. Remains exist of a Druidical double hut-circle, the inner ring about 12 feet in diameter. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Warmwell, in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £135. The church was rebuilt in 1868, and is a handsome stone building in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Weymouth||1836 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1675. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. John the Evangelist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Evangelist, erected in 1868 at the sole cost of John Trenchard Trenchard esq. in place of the Saxon church, then removed, is a building of dressed stone in the Early English style, consisting of nave, short transepts, north porch and a round western tower with spire, containing one bell: the interior of the base of the tower forms the baptistery: the east and west windows are stained: there are about 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Pokeswell was in Weymouth Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pokeswell from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.