Stamcarthy or Stumcarthy, Kilkenny
STAMCARTHY, or STUMCARTHY, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2¼ miles (N. W.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Stoneyford to Pilltown and Carrick-on-Suir; containing 1066 inhabitants, and comprising 1452 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells: the tithes amount to £35. 18. 5½. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballyhale; the chapel, a neat modern building, is in the village of Stoneyford. About 120 children are educated in three schools, one of which, for infants, is supported by Mrs. Flood.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stamcarthy or Stumcarthy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Stamcarthy or Stumcarthy)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.