UK Genealogy Archives logo

Solloghodbeg, Limerick

Historical Description

SOLLOGHODBEG, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2¾ miles (N.) from Tipperary, on the road to Burris-o-leagh; containing 758 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the confines of the county of Limerick: a considerable part of it belongs to the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charities, and is chiefly in the hands of cottier sub-tenants. The soil is in general a fine loam or wet clay much in want of draining. Limestone abounds, especially at the hill of Solloghodbeg, but the management of the dairy is more attended to than tillage, as being more profitable. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union of Cullen: the tithes amount to £110. 8. 10.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Solloghodbeg from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.