SLADE, a village, in the parish of HOOK, barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 7½ miles (S. S. W.) from Fethard; containing 164 inhabitants. The place is situated on the bay and small harbour to which it gives name. It contains about 30 houses, and is chiefly inhabited by fishermen; the scenery derives some interest from the remains of Slade castle, which was built here at an early period by the Hay family. The harbour is situated about one mile to the eastward of Hook lighthouse, and is fit only for small vessels, being dry at low water. Between the quay heads are 11 feet of water at high spring tides, and from 8 to 9 feet at neap tides; but the pier is in a very dilapidated state. In the bay to the north-east of Hook lighthouse vessels may anchor in good ground, under shelter from northern and western winds.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Slade from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.