SIX-MILE-CROSS, a village, in the parish of TERMONMAGUIRK, barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 8 miles (S.E.) from Omagh, on the road to Dungannon; containing 275 inhabitants. The parish church of Termon was erected here on establishing the village in 1634; it remained until the parish was divided, and the two churches of Termon and Clogherney were built. The village contains 65 meanly built houses, mostly thatched, in one small street, though some good houses have been lately built: it has a penny post to Omagh and Dungannon. A court for the manor of Fena is held here once a month, for the recovery of debts under 40s. The village, manor, and lands around are the property of the Earl of Belmore. A very handsome church has recently been erected, by aid of a grant of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits; it is a district church, embracing several townlands of the parish and some of Errigal contiguous. Here is a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Associate Synod; and a male and female school. The Lords Glenawley had formerly their chief residence here, a small fragment of the castle being still in existence.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Six-Mile-Cross from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Tyrone is available to browse.